Two rooms, abodes, bedsits, separated by some corridor, a door at one end, a lightweight curtain at the other. One room, functional, not clinical, but clean and tidy, and well-lit with proper furniture. The other, darker, thicker air, thicker furnishings, floor cushions.The first experience: in the corridor, aware of the door, standing with IQ. It was that brutal conversation: you need to be careful; you need to give me space; you're always too close, too near, too around; it makes me feel uncomfortable...I see the way you look at me; sometimes you touch my hand, briefly, but too much. I can't give you what you want. Go.
The second experience: in the tidy room. Slouching on the sofa. It is Olga's space, that's clear to me. She's there too, on the sofa, or a nearby armchair. Two monkeys are roaming the room. There's a cage, but Olga doesn't like to keep them enclosed. I sit there, lie there, my arm resting on the side of the sofa, and feel uncomfortable with these vile primates that seem to me more like rodents. The monkeys come closer, to investigate, intrigued by this new person in their space. Soon I can smell them, see their whiskers, their saliva, hear their chattering ad breathing as if it is coming from within my own skull. It sends a shiver of tightness up my arm, round my shoulder, and all down my side until it shoots down my leg into my foot. One monkey sniffs my hand, starts nibbling my little finger...it tickles, but it's a bit too hard. I'm squirming, trying desperately not to jump up and scream because I know it would be rude. These are Olga's pets, after all, and I am in her space. But she senses my discomfort and curses my immaturity, my inability to deal with this minor assault, all in friendship and curiosity as it is. It's touching that the monkey sits on my shoulder; he's waiting for the day
The third experience: I am re-entering the building with the two rooms. Somehow I have to go through the darker, thicker room to get into the safe space of Olga's room. The monkeys no longer figure in my mind. That dark room is IQ's space, that is clear. It is plush, well-dressed, the air clings to me with its wild smells and sounds. And there, on a velveteen floor cushion, is her Corona. He sits half-propped up, and looks at me, as if I have caught him. I turn to IQ, and it seems I have caught her too. I should not have seen him. He is not for seeing. He is warped, deformed, a broad humped back and short, shrivelled, useless legs. This is why he sits - he cannot stand. He is clearly incapable of carrying his own weight. He is an embarrassment. And she is beholden unto his impotence and disability.
Last night was filled with too many dreams, not one, but this series, linked together by restlessness and turning...too much information, my senses overloaded with sounds and feelings and textures. They were all so very much there, so real, so present, and yet I am writing this precisely to try and hold on desperately to those non-experiences. Can I learn anything from them? Would they make any more sense of my life than my waking, daytime analyses? I have felt today as if I might have kissed her, had we seen each other. As if something had been exchanged between us, a pact, a confirmation of something that means something. But there is nothing, not really. It's all still the same - I write, she doesn't write back. I offer friendship, she returns only friendliness. Damn dreams, - they seem always to promise some meaning, and yet their meaning is as intangible as the things themselves, and in this case, as intangible as the very thing I'm trying to work out.
No comments:
Post a Comment