I jumped out of the bath this morning in a rage and ready to blog. Then got distracted by a whole load of festive rubbish and am now ready to vent my anger. I was having a lovely relaxing soak too, a rare thing... listening to Radio 4 (yum....) and a chat program asking about the relationship between 'scientists' and 'the public' (and let's leave aside for now the rant that could follow about the question itself...).
Anyway, one guest was on the phone, a Dr. Raymond Williams as he was introduced. The questions followed... "so, Dr. Williams, blah blah". I could feel it brewing in the air, what came next, but I hope beyond hope that banal sexism would not prevail. But indeed, the next guest was a Dr. Susan Kelly... "Susan, what do you think of blah blah". Absolutely stunning! Of course I know these hings happen, but the reality of it assaulting my warm and well-soaked ears was a shock nonetheless.
Olga had a similar experience herself recently - the guy on the phone from Telewest assumed the account was not in her name because she's a professor with an unusual (and not obviously female, to British ears) first name. Groovy's 'Professor' was also the only one absent when she was introduced at a conference immediately after two male doctors/professors.
Before I became Dr., people would ask me if I would change my bank cards and things. Part of me wanted to be cool enough not to care, but actually what I really care about is that it's a sex-neutral title. "Is that Miss or Mrs?" I would always stubbornly answer "Ms.", refusing to be boxed in by my marital status (something already complicated for someone of my preferences). But now, I can say "Dr." When I worked in call centres, for a while I hated people like that, thinking them to be cocky an full of themselves. And then I started deliberately offering a range... "Is that Miss, Mrs, Dr., Reverend...?" People often thought it funny, except for those who weren't the first two.
But apparently Dr is not so neutral, since if your'e a woman it gets removed at the first given (or ungiven) opportunity. This is a space women should not occupy, it seems. Maybe I should acquire a neutral first name and a deeper voice too. But for me it goes back to this whole myth of progress in such matters. We keep pretending we're really getting somewhere, and then even Radio 4 f**ks it up. Sigh.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment